SUMMER FOCACCIA BASIL SALAD
- Servings: 8
- 1 sprig fresh mint
- 2 loaves focaccia bread - cut into rectangles
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup variety cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups cucumber - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup crumbled parmesan
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
In a large serving bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, garlic, basil, thyme, and mozzarella.
Add enough olive oil and vinegar to lightly coat, and then toss.
Garnish with mint.
Cut focaccia loaves into soldiers and toast until cut sides are golden brown.
Serve in a large bread basket.
Place a desired number of bread soldiers in the bottom of an individual salad bowl, sprinkle with olive oil and vinegar to taste.
Spoon salad over bread and serve with parmesan and blue cheese on the side.
Adapted from Mid-Summer Italian Bread Salad