- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 large lemons
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, optional
- Cut lemons in half lengthwise, then put them cut-side down and slice as thinly as possible. Remove seeds. Put the lemon slices and any juice from them into a bowl or non-reactive (non-metal) pan.
- Mix in one cup of the sugar and allow to stand overnight.
- CRUST: pulse the nuts, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a food processor until the nuts are ground to coarse cornmeal texture.
- Press this mixture into a buttered 9 inch pie dish. Cover the bottom and sides as evenly as possible.
- Bake in a pre-heated 375Â° oven for 15 minutes, or until just brown.
- Cool completely before filling.
- FILLING: Cook lemon-sugar mix over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rind is soft about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in 1/4 cup butter and allow to cool.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl until frothy and light yellow. Add 1/2 cup of the cooked lemon mix and stir in. Add another 1/2 cup of the lemon mix and stir in. (You are trying NOT to cook the eggs. Should the lemon-sugar mix be too hot, there will be eggy lumps!)
- Return the mixture to a saucepan and stir gently over a medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Cool, then pour into baked pie crust. Let set and cool before serving - store in refrigerator.
- Try glazing with a confectioner's sugar-and-water whipped mix and baking just for a few moments to melt sugar completely.
- Garnish with whipped cream and a decorative wheel of lemon or ribbons of lemon peel.
- This recipe also works well with limes!
NotesA sweet, refreshing tang to accompany the summer heat and sit beside grilled foods and cold salads!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More