- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI got the recipe from my mom and this is so good! It beats speading loads of money during the holiday season, and this tastes so much better!
- 5 pounds of ground beef (It must be ground beef, not ground round or sirloin)
- 5 round tsp. of Mortons Tender Quick Salt, found in cooking aisle, in blue bag.
- (DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THIS TYPE OF SALT)
- 2 1/2 tsp. whole mustard seed
- 2 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- Thoroughly mix all of the ingredients together. Mix once a day for 3 days. It is important to mix very well, otherwise the meat will spoil.
- On the 4th day, preheat oven to 175º F.
- Roll the mixture into 5 even logs. Place on elevated wire racks on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 hours, turning once at 4 hours.
- Let cool. Once cool, slice and serve.
- Can be wrapped in foil and stored in freezer.