- Cooking Time: 40 min.
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups orzo (10 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped shallot (6 1/2 ounces)
- 2 medium zucchini (1 1/2 pound total), cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 2 medium yellow squash (1 pound total), cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts (4 ounces), toasted , loose skins rubbed off in a kitchen towel, and nuts coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
- Cook orzo in a 4- to 5-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain orzo in a colander.
- While the orzo is cooking, heat butter and oil in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté shallot, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini, yellow squash, salt, and pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in nuts, parsley, basil, and zest.
- Add cooked orzo to skillet and stir gently. If mixture seems dry, moisten with some reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.