SUNDAY BRUNCH: PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY TURNOVERS
Sunday Brunch: Peanut Butter and Jelly Turnovers
- Servings: Makes 8
- One 16-ounce box frozen all-butter puff pastry, thawed overnight in the refrigerator
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup jelly or jam of your choice
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Lay the puff pastry sheets out on a work surface and roll them out into 10-inch squares, using flour if the pastry sticks. Cut each sheet into four 5-inch squares. Use a pastry brush to brush beaten egg along all four edges of each square. Place 1 heaping tablespoon peanut butter and 1 heaping tablespoon jam in the center of each puff pastry and fold it in half diagonally, pressing the edges together to enclose the filling and working out any air. Use a fork to seal the edges completely by pressing the tines down to make a crimped pattern.
3. Arrange the pastry triangles on a baking sheet. Brush the surface of the turnovers with beaten egg. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
4. Remove the turnovers from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool slightly. Drizzle the turnovers from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool slightly.
Serve with glasses of really cold milk
Here's another recipe that I've adapted from my new favorite brunch cookbook, Gale Gand's Brunch! I like what Gale wrote in the headnote for this recipe in her book: "Peanut butter and jelly is one of my favorite classic combinations" (me too, Gale). But in the morning? Why not! Why not, indeed. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a cold glass of milk is my idea of a fine, fine breakfast, so from there it's just a hop, skip, and a crimp or two to Gand's peanut butter and jelly turnovers. Gand ices these turnovers, but I don't think the added sugary sweetness is necessary. By the way, you can serve these beauties for dessert at a dinner party with a pitcher of ice-cold milk or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Website Credit: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/04/sunday-brunch-peanut-butter-and-jelly-turnove.html