- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2-1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2-1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup salted Sunflower kernals, toasted
- 2 packages (1/4 oz each) Active Dry Yeast
- 2 t. Salt
- 1-1/4 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 3 T. Butter
- Additional Sunflower seeds optional
- In a mixing bowl combine 1 cup of each flour, sunflower kernals, yeast and salt; set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the water, milk honey and butter to 120-130 degrees.
- Add to dry ingrediants; beat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining flours, a little at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in 1/2.
- Shape into loaves.
- Roll loaves in additional sunflower kernals if desired.
- Place in 2 greased 8"x4"x2" loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Yield: 2 Loaves
- Note: Original recipe called for 4 cups all-purpose flour and only 1 cup of whole wheat flour.
- I made the bread with 1/2 each, all-purpose and whole wheat flour and it is delicious and a tad more healthy this way :)
NotesThis recipe from TOH, Best of Country Breads. Delicious!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy BitesSee More
Blue Cheese And Bacon Cheese Ball
matt's base red sauceSee More