- 14 Rhodes™ Dinner Rolls, thawed to room temperature
- 12 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups grated Asiago cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- sesame seeds
- Spray counter lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine 7 rolls and roll into a 12-inch circle.
- Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Cover both circles with plastic wrap and let rest.
- Boil spinach for one minute and drain well.
- Pat dry as much as possible.
- Mix dry spinach with ricotta cheese.
- Add 1 egg, cheese and bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove wrap from dough and place one circle on a sprayed 12-inch pizza pan.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on the dough (helpful hint: only place bread crumbs in the areas where the spinach mixture will be) to absorb excess moisture.
- Place a large dollop (about 3/4 cup) of the spinach filling in the middle of the circle and spread the remainder in a ring about 1 inch from the edge of the circle and not touching the middle dollop.
- Lightly brush the edge of the dough with water to help seal the pie.
- Also lightly brush the dough around the mound of filling with water. Place the second circle of dough over the spinach filling. Arrange it so the edges of the dough meet.
- Press the edges together with a fork all the way around.
- Place a bowl carefully over the dough covered spinach mound in the center of the circle and gently but firmly press down to seal the dough.
- Leave bowl in place and using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife cut the pie in 20-24 slices from the bowl to the edge.
- Twist each slice so the spinach shows.
- Remove the bowl.Mix the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush over all of the dough.
- Sprinkle the center with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 350°F 25-30 minutes or until dough is a deep golden brown.
NotesThis Sunflower Spinach Pie will have your friends begging for the recipe.