- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryThis pumpkin bread is soooo moist and spicy. It freezes well. It gets your family to eat healthy things they would normally wrinkle their nose at. Can also bake in muffin tins and it's just as yummy! This is an adapted recipe. The original had higher sugar and oil and much lower fiber and cinnamon. No flax, no chocolate, no coconut butter, no orange zest, and no vanilla. So yes...it's based on another recipe but severely revamped.
I consider this an ovo-vegetarian recipe(as it contains 4 eggs).
I am into sneaking in food that is as high in fiber as possible. The trick is getting everyone in my family to eat it and disbelieving it's good for them. If it passes family then it becomes a regular recipe and this is one of those. Each portion of moist nummy bread provides flax, dark chocolate, cinnamon, coconut oil, and 6.64 grams of fiber. There is even more you could do to make it super healthy or even vegan. I may do that in the future and update with a version 2.
Some variations you could do on your own would be to try egg substitutions like egg beaters or vegan replacements. Mashed bananas and/or applesauce for some of the oil. You could experiment with various sweeteners like honey, agave, maple..etc etc. You could add nuts, cranberries, ..the list is endless. So have fun!
I use Artisan raw, organic coconut butter 5g fiber per serving.
For the vanilla,
it's madegasgar bourbon pure vanilla paste from "The Spice House". Penzey family. Her brother runs "Penzey's". Both learnt their trade from their father but went into two directions. Both are good but her brother doesn't grind his spices as often as she does. She's a small batch spice house and freshly ground weekly. He's larger and thus cannot grind as often as she does. Both carry unique products and it's worth supporting both.
For the milled flax seed I use "FLAX for Nutrition" and make sure it says on the front "milled flax seeds with swiss dark chocolate shavings and dark chocolate powder". I use it in a lot of things besides baking. Use it on your yogurt, over fruit smoothies..etc etc.
My cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice also comes from "The Spice House". The cinnamon I use is rich and naturally spicy. Some of the best quality comes from Vietnam. It's called Ground Vietnamese "Saigon" Cassia.
The pumpkin pie spice is made up of "sweet China cinnamon, Jamaican allspice, powdered cassia buds, ground nutmeg, ginger powder, ground mace, and ground Ceylon cloves"
My dark chocolate is a good quality Belgium dark chocolate that I chopped myself from a large 1 lb bar (I get it from Fresh and Easy(west coast US) which is owned by Tesco(UK). I like Fresh and Easy because I can find ingredients which are a little harder to find such as fig spread and creme fraiche. It's like a whole foods that also carries national brands and is MUCH cheaper.)
- Wet ingredients:
- 1 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1 T. vanilla
- Dry ingredients:
- 3 cups whole grain wheat flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 c. milled flax seed
- 2 t. baking soda
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 2 t. pumpkin pie spice
- optional: 1/2 t. dried orange zest (or 1 t. fresh)
- Add ins:
- 2 cups dark chocolate, coarsely chopped into chunks
- 1 cup of pecans. Pecans will add 24 grams of fiber total. As this recipe makes 24 portion sizes, this increases your fiber with 1 gram per portion...and tastes great!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Use one bowl for wet ingredients and one for the dry ingredients. Measure out the lists above into their respective bowls.
- Once done, pour the wet into the dry ingredients and gently mix to combine(Make sure you get most of the coconut butter combined as it tends to clump a little. It's not bad if you don't find them all. I look for those after they bake for a pop of coconut flavor. Yummy!)
- Now dump in your addins, the chocolate chunks and/or nuts, and mix gently to combine.
- Your mixture will fill 3, 7x3 pans. Bake for 50 minutes. Eat!
- Each loaf equals 8 portions. So there are 24 portions total from your 3 loaves.
- These freeze well and can be baked in other pans. Just adjust your time by 10 minutes longer if you use 2 pans that are larger. Adjust a little lower if you make muffins instead. Since everyone's oven varies, just bake until the centers test as clean when you poke them with a knife or toothpick.