- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For the Curry:
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into cubes and lightly coated with flour
- 2 T. peanut oil
- 1 T. toasted sesame oil
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, grated
- 2" chunk of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 10 oz. canned coconut mik (reg. or low fat)
- 1-2 t. red Thai curry paste
- 1-2 t. curry powder
- salt to taste
- half a green pepper cut into strips
- half a red pepper cut into strips
- 1/2 c. chopped unsalted peanuts
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- For the rice:
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 4 oz. canned coconut milk (reg. or low fat)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 T. butter
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In a medium saucepan bring the rice, coconut milk, chicken broth and butter to a boil.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring once.
- When time is up add the raisins to the top and replace cover.
- Stir together before serving.
- While the rice is cooking, make the curry.
- In a large skillet add 2 T. of the peanut oil and the sesame oil.
- Over medium heat brown the chicken cubes.
- Remove to a bowl.
- In the same skillet add the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Saute and scrape the bottom of the skillet well. Add another teaspoon of peanut oil if needed. Add the chicken broth, 10 oz. coconut milk, Thai curry paste, curry powder and salt.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes until the chicken is very tender.
- Uncover for another 5 minutes to thicken sauce if necessary.
- Serve curry in bowls topped with peanuts and cilantro with rice on the side.
- Serves 4.
NotesI recently became obsessed with Indian food and started experimenting in the kitchen with several Indian recipes. This is the end result that I find comparable with restaurant chicken curry. You can adjust the heat with the amount of curry paste. Part of the can of coconut milk will be used for the curry the rest for the rice.
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern CreationsSee More
Roasted Potato Wedges
IRISH COFFEE PIESee More