Super Go-To Veggie Burger
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup cooked mashed garbanzo (or any type) beans
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup grated zucchini (squeezed in your hands to remove excess moisture)
1/2 cup chopped kale
1/2 cup cooked corn off the cob (optional but I had some leftover)
4 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
4 Tbsp. flour (can sub gf)
3 - 4 Tbsp. chopped, flat-leaf parsley, stems removed
1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. chia seeds
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1. Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and stir well to combine. Make patties by forming the mixture into five or six large, packed balls. Work each ball individually with your hands until the ingredients stick together. Add a bit more flour if too wet and more crushed beans if you need a little more binding. If you want to make these ahead of time, stop here and refrigerate.
2. Next flatten each one into the shape of a burger and set aside.
3. Place a skillet over medium/high heat and add your favorite cooking oil - just enough to cover the bottom of the pan - and heat until hot but not smoking. (Or fire up the grill!)
4. Add the burgers to the pan and cook on one side until you get a nice brown sear (about 1 minute) and flip. (Sear the other side and then stop here if you plan to freeze them.)
5. Cook for 30 seconds then cover the pan, lower the heat to medium/low and cook for another 2 or 3 more minutes until warm throughout.
6. Serve on your favorite roll with your choice of toppings, or place on a bed of mixed greens for a gluten-free option... and watch your carnivorous friends' melt
Pairs Well With
A veggie burger worthy of you AND your carnivore friends!