- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
BackstoryGo ahead, try and say that one ten times fast! It will be a lot harder to say than it is to make, I promise! I love getting Hot and Sour soup when I order Chinese food, although I always load it with Duck Sauce to give it some sweetness. I wanted to see how I could make it at home and when I started researching recipes, my mind started to get a little boggled. Dried mushrooms?? Oh yeah, because I have those just laying around!
Well, you know me! I figured out how to make the yummy soup with the stuff you already have in house! Check it out.
- 4 c Chicken, Beef or Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 1/4 c rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp crushed red chili paste (Sambal)
- assorted mushrooms, sliced thin
- sliced tofu
- brown sugar, to taste
- black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Bring all liquid ingredients and chili paste to a simmer. Add in mushrooms and tofu, cook until mushrooms have softened.
- If you find that the soup is too sour, add in some brown sugar. I love the sweet and tangy taste, so I add about 1 tbsp.
- Season with a bit of black pepper. You don't need to add salt because you'll have that flavor from the soy sauce.
- Beat one egg and drizzle over the soup while its at a simmer. The egg will cook instantly.
- Garnish with sliced green onion and serve.
- Tip: Want to thicken it up? Make a slurry with cornstarch by combining 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and two table spoons of broth. Mix it up and add it into the soup.