- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
Backstoryadapted from Nick Malgieri's
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, more for pan and parchment paper
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or 3/4 cup whole walnuts, optional
- Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking pan and line with buttered parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water, or on low power in a microwave, melt butter and chocolate together. Cool slightly. In a large bowl or mixer, whisk eggs. Whisk in salt, sugars and vanilla.
- Whisk in chocolate mixture. Fold in flour just until combined. If using chopped walnuts, stir them in. Pour batter into prepared pan. If using whole walnuts, arrange on top of batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until shiny and beginning to crack on top. Cool in pan on rack.