- Cooking Time: 15 min./batch + cooling
- Servings: 33 servings
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Additional chopped pecans
- Halved red maraschino cherries or red jelly of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk, cream and vanilla. Combine the flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in finely chopped pecans. Roll into 3/4-in. balls.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white. Dip balls in egg white, then roll in additional pecans. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each ball. Top each ball with a cherry half or fill with jelly. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Carefully remove to wire racks to cool.
NotesAmong our large family's Christmas Eve tradition is enjoying these delectable cookies- one of the 20 varieties my sister bakes for the holiday. They have a pleasing pecan flavor and are so buttery and delicate, they almost melt in your mouth.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Austin Personal Training Recipes
"Pretty Food" for the home ChefSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More