- Cooking Time: 30
- Preparation Time:
- /4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups rye flour
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- In a bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, molasses, 4 tablespoons butter and salt; stir in boiling water. Let stand until mixture cools to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour and yeast. Add the molasses mixture just until moistened. Stir in rye flour and enough of the remaining bread flour to form a medium stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three portions. Shape into loaves. Place on baking sheets coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Melt remaining butter; brush over loaves and sprinkle with caraway seeds. Cool.
- Yield: 3 loaves.
- Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 each) equals 102 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
NotesThis makes a rather dense dark loaf. One slice will stick to your ribs. It's good with some butter and preserves for breakfast, or to sop up the juice from meat or stew.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Delicious Recipes Made EasySee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More