- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds (I did 1 cup at a time in 2 batches because they toast evenly)
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Make the seeds in 2 separate batches. (If you just want one type of seeds, then just double/triple/whatever the recipe. It works if you only like one flavor as well.)
- For Salty seeds: Line a cookie sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray. Melt 1 tbsp of butter. In a bowl, combine 1 cup seeds, 1 tbsp butter, and 1 tbsp salt. Mix thoroughly. Spread evenly on cookie sheet and bake for about 20 mins, checking the oven at the 10 minute mark and tossing them around (with a spoon or something). Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- For sweet seeds: Line a cookie sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray. Melt 1 tbsp of butter. In a bowl, combine 1 cup seeds, 1 tbsp butter, and the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and sugar. Mix thoroughly. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for about 20 mins, checking the oven at the 10 minute mark and tossing them around. They will just look a little carmelized and may seem wet after 20 minutes, but they need time out of the oven to harden up a bit. (This is why my first two batches failed!) Let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine both sets of seeds for a sweet and salty healthy snack! Or, eat separately. Either way, amazing!
NotesOne of the best things about carving pumpkins for Halloween is saving the seeds and toasting them. I played around with a few recipes on the internet and screwed up two batches but finally found the right amounts and baking time on my own. It may depend on your oven, so just use your sense of smell at first! These are deeeeelicious.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
My Family Cookbook
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More