- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1kg large prawns (we had tiger prawns)
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 1 - 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1-2 tbsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried coriander powder
- Soak some bamboo skewers overnight, making sure you have one for each prawn.
- Remove the shells from the prawns, leaving the heads and tails intact. Remove the tract from the back by cutting a small slit with a knife and fishing it out with a toothpick and then give the prawns a quick rinse and shake dry.
- Mix together all the other ingredients in a bowl and alter to taste. Pack the prawns into a large casserole dish and carefully pour the marinade over the top. Leave for about 2-3 hours, giving the prawns a toss every hour to make sure they’re all getting the chance to be marinated.
- Just before cooking, thread each prawn onto a skewer by holding it firmly in hand, inserting the skewer from between the tail fins and up the body up into the head.
- Fire up the barbeque (or grill) and just before cooking, give them a light brush with some melted butter to stop them sticking. Grill them for no more than 2-3 minutes each side, removing them to a plate once they lose their opaque colour and are nice and fragrant.
- Serve with some steamed rice and a simple citrussy salad and enjoy!
NotesAs part of the Christmas meal, there’s always some prawns but unfortunately, my parents usually massacre them by overboiling them and serving them with a ketchup/mayo mix in some bastardized prawn cocktail. Seeing the gorgeous specimens they’d picked up at the markets for this year’s feast, I told my mother that this year we’d be trying something different, and that their prawn cocktail would not be featured at this year’s feast.
Though the recipe was literally pulled together last minute, the way they were devoured has indicated that they will be appearing on the spread as part of next year's Christmas bbq :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Jean’s Recipe File
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & SmoothiesSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More