- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- butter or baking spray
- 1 lb. dark sweet cherries, pitted
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1/4 c. heavy cream (I used half and half)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar (I used my vanilla sugar)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 c. sifted cake flour
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Casually arrange the pitted cherries in the bottom on the dish.
- 2. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the milk and cream until you can begin to smell it and small bubbles appear around the edge of the pan.
- 3. While milk and cream are warming, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, salt, and almond extract until creamy.
- 4. Once milk mixture has come to temperature, remove the pan from the heat and vigorously whisk in the flour, a bit at a time, until no lumps remain. Pour a small amount of the egg mixture into the milk mixture to temper, then whisk tempered milk mixture back into the egg mixture. Pour over the cherries.
- 5. Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake until browned, 45-55 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool just a bit. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.
NotesSweet dark summer cherries are now in the market. This dessert showcases them beautifully!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More