- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- butter or baking spray
- 1 lb. dark sweet cherries, pitted
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1/4 c. heavy cream (I used half and half)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar (I used my vanilla sugar)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 c. sifted cake flour
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Casually arrange the pitted cherries in the bottom on the dish.
- 2. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the milk and cream until you can begin to smell it and small bubbles appear around the edge of the pan.
- 3. While milk and cream are warming, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, salt, and almond extract until creamy.
- 4. Once milk mixture has come to temperature, remove the pan from the heat and vigorously whisk in the flour, a bit at a time, until no lumps remain. Pour a small amount of the egg mixture into the milk mixture to temper, then whisk tempered milk mixture back into the egg mixture. Pour over the cherries.
- 5. Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake until browned, 45-55 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool just a bit. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.
NotesSweet dark summer cherries are now in the market. This dessert showcases them beautifully!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
The One Dollar Cookbook
Thanksgiving With The Singing VeganSee More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More