- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup milk.
- 1 yeast cake dissolved in 1/4 cup lukewarm water.
- 1/4 cup sugar.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 egg.
- Yolk 1 egg.
- 1/8 teaspoon mace.
- 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Scald milk; when lukewarm, add dissolved yeast cake and one and one-half cups flour; beat well, cover, and let rise until light.
- Add sugar, salt, eggs well beaten, mace, and butter, and enough more flour to knead; knead, let rise again, shape. Place closely in buttered pan, cover, let rise, and bake twelve to fifteen minutes in hot oven.
- This same mixture may be rolled in a long strip to one-fourth inch thickness, spread with butter, rolled up like a jelly roll, and cut in one inch pieces.
- Place pieces in pan close together, flat side down.
NotesThe Boston Cooking-School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer (Boston, 1896)