- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup milk.
- 1 yeast cake dissolved in 1/4 cup lukewarm water.
- 1/4 cup sugar.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 egg.
- Yolk 1 egg.
- 1/8 teaspoon mace.
- 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Scald milk; when lukewarm, add dissolved yeast cake and one and one-half cups flour; beat well, cover, and let rise until light.
- Add sugar, salt, eggs well beaten, mace, and butter, and enough more flour to knead; knead, let rise again, shape. Place closely in buttered pan, cover, let rise, and bake twelve to fifteen minutes in hot oven.
- This same mixture may be rolled in a long strip to one-fourth inch thickness, spread with butter, rolled up like a jelly roll, and cut in one inch pieces.
- Place pieces in pan close together, flat side down.
NotesThe Boston Cooking-School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer (Boston, 1896)
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Mom's Cooking Secrets
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More