- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 c. sifted flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. milk
- Finely grated zest and juice of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Cream butter in large bowl until light, slowly add sugar and cream together until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the dry and adding about one-third of the total at a time.
- Add lemon rind and juice and beat just until smooth.
- Pour into greased 9"x5"x3" loaf pan or three mini loaf pans.
- Bake 1 hour (or about 25-30 minutes for mini-loaves) or until golden, springy to the touch and a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Let cool upright in pan on wire rack while you make the glaze.
- Heat lemon juice and sugar in nonreactive pan on stove over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Pour evenly over the top of cake(s) and let cool thoroughly in the pan before turning out.
- Wrap tightly and store overnight before cutting.
NotesThe New Doubleday Cookbook, 1985
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Thanksgiving With The Singing VeganSee More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More