- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 c. sifted flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. milk
- Finely grated zest and juice of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Cream butter in large bowl until light, slowly add sugar and cream together until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the dry and adding about one-third of the total at a time.
- Add lemon rind and juice and beat just until smooth.
- Pour into greased 9"x5"x3" loaf pan or three mini loaf pans.
- Bake 1 hour (or about 25-30 minutes for mini-loaves) or until golden, springy to the touch and a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Let cool upright in pan on wire rack while you make the glaze.
- Heat lemon juice and sugar in nonreactive pan on stove over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Pour evenly over the top of cake(s) and let cool thoroughly in the pan before turning out.
- Wrap tightly and store overnight before cutting.
NotesThe New Doubleday Cookbook, 1985
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More