SWEET N HOT BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- Olive oil + 2 tblsps butter
- 1+lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved
- 2-3 sm green chilis, seeded & chopped (or, sub 1 sm can, drained)
- 1 lg red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 med sweet Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tblsp cilantro, minced
- Salt & Black pepper to taste
- 1 tblsp sugar
- 28 oz can Dei Frattelli crushed tomatoes
- 2 tblsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 +/- water, to cover
- Add'l 2tsps butter
- Crusty French baguette
Heat oil & butter in heavy Dutch oven; sauté sprouts, peppers, onion and garlic til tender, approx 6-10min.
Add cilantro; toss and cook to wilt.
Add sugar; toss and cook til veggies begin to carmelize and glaze themselves, 3-4min.
Add tomatoes and vinegar and combine.
Reduce heat to low, cover and stew 20-30min til tender, adding water if necessary.
Finish with butter after removing from heat to serve, stirring to blend in.
Tear a chunk of bread off, put in a bowl and serve with stewed sprouts served over.