- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tbls. extra vergin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 lbs sweet onions, juilliene
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1.2 cup congac (or bourbon, sherry, port...whatever you like)
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 Tblsp. cold water
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and add the oil and butter.
- When the butter is foaming, add the onions, salt and pepper and saute until well caramelized.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the sugar and allow to begin to caramelize.
- Deglaze with whatever alchohol you are using (I really recommend congac) and the vinegar and set it on fire...really...set it on fire.
- Shake the pan until the fire goes out.
- Mix the corn starch with the cold water and mix to dissolve.
- Add it to the sauce and cook until it thickens.
- Serve it immediately on roasted or grilled salmon or steaks...or chill it and serve it as a side to sandwiches, etc...
NotesThis is a great accompaniment for brats or salmon or nice served cold with almost any sandwich...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Easy Homemade Salad DressingsSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More