- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 90
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 large)
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/4cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup chopped figs or dates
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake sweet potatoes about 1 hour or until tender. Or, pierce sweet potatoes several times with fork and place on microwavable plate. Microwave on HIGH 16 to 18 minutes, rotating and turning potatoes over after 9 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes
- Cut hot sweet potatoes lengthwise into halves. Scrape hot pulp from skins into large bowl.
- Beat 1/4 cup butter and 2 Tablespoons sugar into sweet potatoes with electric mixer at medium speed until butter is melted. Add eggs, orange juice, 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Beat until smooth. Stir in figs or dates Pour mixture into 2-quart baking dish or gratin dish; smooth top.
- For topping, combine flour, oats, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in remaining 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle topping evenly over sweet potatoes.*
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are heated through. For crisper topping, broil 5 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- PREP TIME 1 1/2 Hours
- COOK TIME 30 Min
- SERVINGS 6 to 8
NotesThis is one dish I take to my church dinners, never brought any home!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Breads and Pastry 101See More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More