SWEET POTATO BALLS
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 Tbs. milk
- 1 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 3/4 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 4 Tbs. flour
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and bake on oven rack for about 35 minutes, or until tender (or microwave on high for about 10 minutes).
- Allow potatoes to cool, then scoop out insides, transfer to a large bowl, and mash together with egg, onion, milk, butter, ginger, flour, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Refrigerate mixture for half an hour, or until completely cold.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop a 1 dollop, gently shape it into a ball, then place it on a large platter.
- Continue with the rest of the mixture. Refrigerate balls for at least 15 minutes.
- Just before frying, roll balls in bread crumbs and return to platter.
- Pour oil into a large frying pan and heat until
- Fry several balls at a time until golden brown (3 to 5 minutes per batch).
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm, or make ahead and freeze.
- (Thaw overnight in refrigerator; reheat for 3 minutes in microwave or oven.)
- Note: May be made with leftover sweet potatoes. May be filled with a cube of cheese or other "surprise filling" before frying.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Foodie BabySee More
Chicken LinguineSee More