- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Set the potatoes on a cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour, or until tender. Or cook in microwave. Let cool slightly. Using a spoon, scoop the potato flesh from the skins into a bowl and mash with a fork; you should have 1 1/2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large bowl, mix the 2 1/2 cups of flour with the brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender. In a small bowl, mix the sweet potatoes with the milk. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until all of the flour is incorporated; the dough will be quite sticky. Refrigerate the dough for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- On a well-floured work surface, pat out the dough until it is 1/2-inch thick. Using a floured 2-inch round or fluted cutter, stamp out as many biscuits as you can and transfer them to a parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Re-roll the scraps and stamp out more biscuits. Brush the tops of the biscuits with the egg wash. Bake the biscuits for about 20 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- PREP TIME 1 1/2 Hours
- COOK TIME 20 Min
- SERVINGS about 24 biscuits
NotesThis was always a good treat for breakfast. We'd have sweet taters the night before, and with the left overs, granny CLOUSE would make them.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More