- Cooking Time:
- Servings: Yield: 2 quarts
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a nice soup from Vegetarian Times article on clemintines, January 2005.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 stalks celery -- chopped
- 3 fresh sage leaves -- chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion -- chopped
- 1 medium parsnip -- peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot -- peeled and chopped
- 4 to 6 Clementines
- 6 medium sweet potato -- peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger -- grated
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Heat burner in large pot over medium heat. Add celery, sage, onion, parsnip and carrot, and cook, stirring, until onion has softened and is just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze Clementines to make 3/4 cup juice; set aside. Grate zest from Clementines, set aside.
- Add sweet potatoes, and cook 2 minutes. Add wine and bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits on bottom of pot. Add clementine juice, nutmeg and ginger. Add vegetable stock, reduce heat to low and cook 25 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Working in batches, puree mixture in food processor or blender. Add zest and cream to soup. Heat through, and our into warm bowls.