- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time:
- 1 French baguette, cut into 1/2” slices
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cut clove of garlic
- 1 recipe Sweet Potato Chutney*
- *Sweet Potato Chutney
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large, sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 (about 3 cups) of a fresh pineapple, cubed
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (or I found this stuff in a tube that looks like pureed fresh ginger--yum! use a teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- a pinch of salt
- Begin by toasting the baguette slices. I do this by placing them on a large cookie sheet and putting them in a 400 degree oven for a few minutes, until they are nicely browned. Remove them from the oven and drizzle a bit of olive oil on each slice and then rub each slice with the cut clove of garlic. Then, simply top each slice with a spoonful of the Sweet Potato Chutney.
- For the chutney, heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium/high heat. Add the crushed red pepper and the chopped onions and saute for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and cook the onions until soft and just starting to brown. Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan, stirring well. Cook over medium heat until the liquids boil down and the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
NotesAnother attempt to make interesting vegetarian fare for my daughter. The sweet potato chutney that tops the Bruschetta lends itself well to loads of other food, too. Try using it as a topping for (cover your eyes if you are vegetarian) grilled meats.
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Jesuit Tampa - Between Practice and HomeworkSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More