- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste or 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (5 to 6 large), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 14-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 2-inch piece fresh lemongrass or 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add curry paste and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sweet potato, chicken broth, coconut milk, lemongrass, and, if desired, ginger.
- 2. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Cool slightly. Discard lemongrass.
- 3. Transfer half of the potato mixture (about 4 cups) in small batches to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to the remaining mixture in Dutch oven. Stir in white pepper and salt. Heat through. Makes 10 servings.
- 4. Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare and blend chowder as directed. Transfer to an airtight container and chill for up to 24 hours. To reheat, transfer to a Dutch oven. Cover and cook until heated through.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More