- Cooking Time: 480
- Servings: 5
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes and sweated and drained of excess moisture. ( I didn't sweat it)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- canola oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium portobello mushrooms, stems removed, cut into 1/4 slices lengthwise.
- 2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (19-0z) tomatoes including juice ( diced)
- salt to taste
- 1 long red or green chili, finely chopped ( optional)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt ( optional) but recommended
- In a skillet, toast coriander seeds and cumin seeds until they release their aroma and start to brown. Transfer to spice grinder or mortar to coarsely grind, set aside.
- In a non stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat add sweated eggplant and cook until lightly browned. Transfer to slow cooker. Add sweet potatoes and mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Add onions to the skillet along with more oil, cook stirring until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, reserved spices, cooking 1 minute more and stirring. Stir in tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Pour over eggplant mixture in slow cooker, stir to combine and add salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, until hot and bubbling. Stir in chili pepper and yogurt, if using and serve right away.
- I served on top of some brown rice.
NotesI found this in a great little recipe book called 125 best vegetarian slow cooker recipes.. The title doesn't lie I have tried about half the recipes in the book and each one is great. I'm going to buy the book ( have been re-checking it out through my library) but for now want to store this recipe here so I don't lose it. It's one of the tastiest recipes I've made in awhile. And it's cheap and easy too.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More