- Cooking Time: 6
- Servings: 2-4
- Preparation Time: 6
Backstory"Hutton Hash" 'nuff said.
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 1/4 Red Onion
- 1/3 Red Bell Pepper
- Favorite Seasoning
- (optional) Bacon and/or Italian Sausage
- Prep: Cut the potato up into cubes or thin straws. The red onion and bell pepper can be cut however you like (larger pieces for bolder flavors).
- Cooking: Cover the bottom of a large frying pan with oil of your choice. Select a pan large enough so that all of the sweet potato pieces are able to be in the oil touching the bottom of the pan. Turn the burner up to max or close to. As the oil heats up and gets to the right temperature, you should see a little smoke coming off the oil. Once the oil is heated, throw in the potato chunks and make sure that they cover the bottom of the pan (watch out for hot oil spatter -- use a grease cover if necessary). Let the potato cook until you can see it getting brown on the bottom. With a spatula, flip over the potato pieces so that the uncooked sides are down (as best you can, doesn't have to be perfect). Now add in the onion and pepper pieces. If you add the onion and pepper with the potatoes right off the bat, it's harder to cook each potato chunk and the onion and pepper get charred. Now is also a good time to add in a seasoning of your choice. My recommended seasoning combos are:
- - basil and garlic
- - mesquite and a little brown sugar (add sugar to finished product)
- - herb and parmesan
- - hot sauce of your choosing
- IMPORTANT: The key to making a good hash without the use of a deep fryer is getting crispy potato without the grease. DO NOT let the ingredients sit in the oil after it is finished. DO NOT turn the heat below high at any point. If you turn the heat down, or let the potatoes sit in the oil for any amount of time, they will soak up the oil and you will have greasy mushy hash browns.
- Serving: The key to getting perfect hash browns ("Hutton Hash") is not letting the potato soak up any of the oil. My suggested method is to put a couple of paper towels down on a large plate and then, using a slatted spatula, scooping the sizzling hot hash onto the paper towels and serving asap. If you are cooking something else with it, make sure the hash is done at the same time or after everything else.
- Suggested combo: 2 over easy eggs right on top of the hash :)