- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy continuing sweet potato saga would not be complete without an ice cream version. Here, I've combined sweet potatoes with a hint of orange and ginger and made a beautiful, creamy ice cream.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste (or 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder)
- Combine the egg yolks, egg, maple syrup, and sugar in a medium bowl. Use a hand mixer on medium speed to beat until the mixture is thick, smooth, and pale yellow in color, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Combine the heavy cream and the milk in a medium saucepan. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the milk/cream mixture, whisking to combine. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture starts to simmer. Cook for an additional two minutes, or until the custard coats the back of a spoon, being careful not to let the mixture come to a full boil (or the eggs will curdle, trust me).
- In a medium bowl, combine the sweet potatoes with the ginger, the orange peel and the orange juice. Pour the custard over the sweet potato mixture and stir to combine. Chill for at least two hours.
- Pour the sweet potato custard into the ice cream maker and churn per the manufacturer's directions. With my machine, it was ready in about 30 minutes.