- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI must say that i am really not a very talented cook but somehow, the child in me seems to love whipping up something every now & then....so i typically choose to make simpler items which looks good....this is something i made today...it reallie quite simple
- 1 big sweet potato, cut into pieces, steamed until soft and mashed
- 200g glutinous rice flour
- pinch of salt
- 100ml water
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- Filling for the ball:
- 100g grated gula melaka
- Grating for the ball:
- 200g grated coconut (white part only) and a pinch of salt.Steam for 5 minutes and leave to cool. (This helps it to keep better and the grated coconut won't spoil so fast.)
- Bring water, salt and tapioca flour to a boil over low heat. Keep stirring until almost transparent and sticky (texture a bit like glue.)
- Pour the mixture immediately into the glutinous rice flour in a large mixing bowl. Stir till it is well absorbed. Add the mashed sweet potato and mix well to form a dough until the dough no longer sticks to your hand.
- In a pot, boil the water until boiling. Roll the pieces of dough into small balls with your palms. Then flatten the ball and put a bit of the filling in the centre.
- Seal the ball and roll again into round balls. Drop the balls into boiling water until they float to the surface (about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes). Then it's ready to be removed with a strainer.
- Coat the round balls with grated coconut & it's ready....yippie
- Remember...because it's made of coconut so to ensure freshness, it is better to prepare it in the morning, keep in a cool place and consume before end day.