- Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and shredded (about 4 cups)
- ½ cup grated sweet onion
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ¼ cup all purpose flour (add more flour if the mixture is too wet)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Stir together all of the ingredients (except the vegetable oil) until well-blended.
- Heat oil (about ½ cup, or enough to cover the bottom of the pan) in a large skillet on high until hot, but not smoking.
- Reduce the heat to medium/high and drop sweet potato mixture into the pan by ¼ cups (about 3 pancakes per pan; don’t overcrowd).
- Flatten each pancake slightly with a spatula and fry until browned and crisp on the bottom, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn pancakes and repeat. If the pancakes start to brown too quickly, turn down the heat to medium.
- Remove from pan to a paper towel lined plate. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven, if desired. Salt to taste.
NotesMy daughter wanted me to try sweet potato hash browns. What I concocted was more of a pancake, but oh so good! Top them them with a poached egg for some Yam and Eggs.....