- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- David's Best Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 4 tsp water
- 1 tsp vinegar (apple cider works best)
- Cut the shortning into the flour DO NOT use a mixer. Makes 2 regular size pie crust (with top)
- Other Ingredients:
- 1-pound red-skinned sweet potato (yam), pierced with fork
- 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake crust until pale golden, about 8 minutes; set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Cook sweet potato in microwave on high until tender, about 6 minutes per side.
- Cut potato in half; scoop flesh into medium bowl and mash.
- Measure 1 cup mashed potato; place in large bowl.
- Whisk sugar and next 5 ingredients into mashed potato; spread mixture in prepared crust.
- Whisk corn syrup and eggs in bowl to blend.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour syrup mixture over potato mixture.
- Bake pie until filling is set, puffed and brown, about 45 minutes.
- Cool pie completely.
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate up to 1 day and serve cold.
NotesI don't recall where this recipe came from(except for the pie crust recipe), but I have made it several times and it is a big hit every time I make it! My daughter loves to top it off with some whip cream!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More