- Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
- Servings: 2 10-12 inch pizzas
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
BackstoryI used this as the crust for my Double Sweets and Beets pizza. The sweet potato gives it a wonderful orange color!
- 1 ½ cups warm water (110 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 envelope (2 ¼ teaspoons) yeast
- 3-3 ½ cups bread flour
- ½ cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (about ½ of a large sweet potato)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat a pizza stone to 450 degrees.
- Place the water, olive oil and honey in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Stir in the yeast and let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes, or until the yeast starts to bubble. Add 3 cups of the flour, the sweet potatoes and the salt.
- Fit the dough hook on a stand mixer and knead the dough for about 5 minutes, adding additional flour, if needed. The dough should “clean” the side of the bowl.
- Place the dough in a large, oiled bowl, turning once so that the top of the dough is lightly oiled. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and set in a warm, draft free area for 45 minutes to one hour, or until the dough has doubled.
- Punch it down, and divide in half. Shape dough into a 12” circle. Place on a cornmeal covered pizza peel, and top with desired toppings. Slide the pizza on to the preheated pizza stone and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the crust is browned and the cheese is bubbling.
- For a special treat, top with my recipe for Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Beets and Onions.