- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. shallots - minced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme, or 2 tsp dried
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 lb) - peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Granny Smith apples - cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh buttered bread crumbs
- Combine the cream, shallots, thyme, salt and pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat stirring occasionally. add the sweet potato slices and reduce heat to low. simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Layer half the sweet potato mixture in a greased baking dish. Top with the sliced apple.
- Repeat with sweet potato mixture and top with the cheese.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 35 minutes.
- When potatoes are tender sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over the top and place under the broiler until golden brown
NotesGreat for the holidays...or if you just like sweet potatoes...