Sweet Potato and Black Bean Veggie Burger
1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes
1/3 c millet
1 c oats
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (or 2 c cooked)
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/2 c fresh cilantro leaves
2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1 t chipotle powder or smoked hot paprika
1/2 t cayenne powder (optional)
1/2 t salt
Vegetable oil for cooking burgers
Burger fixings: avacado, guacamole, tomato, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, pickles
1. Roast sweet potatoes at 400F. Slice down center lengthwise and place them cut side down on a baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes. Remove skin and chop the inside.
2. Cook the millet: bring 1 c water to boil. Stir in millet, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, about 25 minutes. Drain off and cool.
3. Mix the sweet potatoes and millet, black beans, onion, cilantro, and spices.
4. Mix in the oats with a big spoon until the mixture holds together into a patty. Cover and refrigerate the mixture for best results.
5. Shape burgers (about 1/2 c) into 3.5-inch diameter patties. Form 8 patties. Preheat oven to 350F.
6. Pan fry the burgers over medium heat for 3-4 minutes per side.
7. Toast buns, cut side up on a baking sheet 2-3 minutes.