- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil (or olive oil)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 6 cups milk
- 2 cups of corn kernals (fresh or frozen) I used 2 ears of corn because thats what I found in the fridge.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 stalks of celery chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 a vegetable instant soup packet
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped corriander (optional
- 1. Melt butter with the oil in a soup pot, over a medium heat and add onion, garlic, cumin and curry powder. Cook for 5 mins.
- 2. Add flour and slowly add milk. Whisk for 30 seconds making sure no lumps form.
- 3. Add in sweet potato and simmer over a low heat until the sweet potatoes are tender, should take about 20 minutes.
- 4. Season with the soup mix, salt and pepper. (Add more if desired)
- 5. Add corn, celery and corriander and simmer for another 2 mins.
- 6. Turn heat off and squeeze in the lime juice. Stir.
NotesOne whole bottle of full cream milk was going to expire in a few days, and I didn't want to waste it. So I needed a great winter recipe to use up as much milk as possible! I googled (couldn't survive without it :P) "Recipes using alot of milk" and this particular recipe for Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder jumped out at me. I did change the recipe quite a bit to accomodate with what I had on hand. But funnily enough I had most of the ingredients just "lying around!" It was definately meant to be!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More