- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil (or olive oil)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 6 cups milk
- 2 cups of corn kernals (fresh or frozen) I used 2 ears of corn because thats what I found in the fridge.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 stalks of celery chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 a vegetable instant soup packet
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped corriander (optional
- 1. Melt butter with the oil in a soup pot, over a medium heat and add onion, garlic, cumin and curry powder. Cook for 5 mins.
- 2. Add flour and slowly add milk. Whisk for 30 seconds making sure no lumps form.
- 3. Add in sweet potato and simmer over a low heat until the sweet potatoes are tender, should take about 20 minutes.
- 4. Season with the soup mix, salt and pepper. (Add more if desired)
- 5. Add corn, celery and corriander and simmer for another 2 mins.
- 6. Turn heat off and squeeze in the lime juice. Stir.
NotesOne whole bottle of full cream milk was going to expire in a few days, and I didn't want to waste it. So I needed a great winter recipe to use up as much milk as possible! I googled (couldn't survive without it :P) "Recipes using alot of milk" and this particular recipe for Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder jumped out at me. I did change the recipe quite a bit to accomodate with what I had on hand. But funnily enough I had most of the ingredients just "lying around!" It was definately meant to be!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More