Sweet Potatoe Gratin
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 pound Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, quartered, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
• 1 ½ pound sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into thinly sliced rounds
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
• Freshly grated nutmeg
• 1 1/4 heavy cream, half-and-half, or milk ( heavy cream works best)
• 1/2 fresh bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a 10-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Over medium-high heat, sauté the apples until slightly caramelized, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Place the potatoes in a medium bowl and season with salt, cinnamon, pepper and nutmeg. Pour over the cream and mix well.
4. Butter a 10-inch gratin dish and layer with half the potatoes, one overlapping the other. Cover with the apples and arrange the remaining potatoes on top. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender. Remove from the oven.
5. Increase the oven temperature to 500 degrees F. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the potatoes and dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Return to the oven to brown, watching carefully to prevent burning.
6. Remove from oven and serve immediately.