SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
- Servings: 4
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup plum jelly
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole boneless chicken breast, skinned, cut into 1- to 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- vegetable oil for frying
- Hot cooked rice
Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/4 cup juice.
Cut up tomatoes and set aside.
Blend reserved juice, plum jelly, vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce and bouillon granules in small mixing bowl.
For batter, blend all ingredients in small mixing bowl.
Stir to coat.
Heat 2 to 3 inches oil in large saucepan to 350ºF.
Remove several pieces chicken from batter with slotted spoon.
Add to oil.
Fry 3 to 4 minutes, or until light golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Repeat with remaining chicken.
Discard oil, reserving 2 tablespoons in saucepan.
Add green pepper and onion.
Stir-fry over medium-high heat about 3 minutes, or until tender.
Stir in tomato juice mixture.
Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in pineapple chunks, chicken and tomatoes. Cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Serve with rice.