- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrots, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Frozen pre-cooked meatballs, enough to cover the bottom of large skillet.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, green pepper, and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes, until onion is softened. Stir in broth, tomato sauce, brown sugar, white vinegar, applesauce, and ketchup. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Drop meatballs into sauce and simmer for another 30 minutes to let the meatballs soak in the flavors.
- Remove skillet from heat. Cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Serve over rice or noodles.
NotesMy daughter and I were trying to find something to do with our store-bought frozen meatballs tonight. We found this recipe at allrecipes.com, but altered it a bit. The original recipe called for a can of crushed pineapple (juice and all), but I used applesauce instead. It also had ingredients for making the meatballs from scratch, which I will eventually try when I have more time. Never-the-less, even with these changes, the meal was absolutely delicious, and we'll be making it again!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More