- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 12 oz. tofu, chicken or pork
- 3 Tble soy sauce (tamari or braggs is preferred)
- 1 Tble sesame oil
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tble arrowroot (or 4 Tble cornstarch)
- 2 Tble katchup
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 medium carrots thinly bias sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped in large chunks
- 1/2 cucumber cut into quarters
- 1/2 pineapple cut into small chunks (8 oz. can)
- 2 tomatoes chopped fine
- fresh basil
- hot cooked rice
- Cut tofu, chicken or pork into small pieces. For marinade stir together 2 Tble soy sauce, pineapple juice(probably 1 tble or a few smashed pieces of pineapple) and sesame oil. Marinade for at least 30 min. I like to marinade it for 3 hours.
- For sauce, stir together 1 cup broth, sugar, rice vinegar, katchup, remaining soy sauce and arrowroot. You can also add a few drops of red food coloring if desired.
- Cook meat or tofu in a lightly oiled pan. When no pink remains set aside.
- Pour a small amount of oil into pan and heat on med-high. Cook garlic, carrots and onion till slightly crunchy then add the bell peppers. When the onions are translucent add in cucumbers and the pineapple. When cucumbers look about cooked add in tomatoes and sauce. Cook till sauce starts to thicken and then add in meat or tofu. Cook for a few minutes more. Serve with hot rice.
- Garnish with ribboned basil.
NotesI got this recipe from Better Homes and Garden cookbook and modified it a bit.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More