- Cooking Time: 6-8hrs
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 20min
- 1-2lbs Country-style Pork Ribs
- Oil for browning
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- Sea Salt & LOTS of Black Pepper
- Soy Sauce
- 3-4 Granny Smith Apples, sliced
- 1 lg can Sauerkraut w/liquid
- 1/2c Brown Sugar
- 1tsp add'l Black Pepper
- 1/2tsp ea Cumin & Coriander
- 1/4-1/3c water
- Heat oil in deep skillet or Dutch oven; brown pork, onions & garlic, seasoning w/salt & pepper and dousing w/soy sauce (several generous dashes from bottle), covered, turning and stirring to brown meat evenly but not attempting to cook through.
- Place ribs, browned veggies and juices from pan in Crockpot.
- Add apples, then sauerkraut.
- Mix together sugar and remaining spices; pour over top of kraut, spreading out evenly and mashing a bit into kraut.
- Pour approx 1/4c water slowly over top to help sugar trickle down into layers.
- Cook 6-8hrs or overnight; if necessary, add more water to prevent top layer from drying- ALTHOUGH- I found that checking occasionally and pressing down on top and along sides of mixture helped incorporate all ingredients without disturbing layers.
- When it's finished, apples have pretty much dissolved into the pork, which should be incredibly fork-tender, and kraut is a golden-brown.
- Spoon out to serve, removing any bones from ribs.
- Recipe recommended serving over egg noodles, but I didn't see any point in this and thought it was FABULOUS just like it was.
NotesI saw this recipe in my local paper and tried it out, adding a little more to it (soy, onions, spices). I thought it sounded good but some people (husband) were scared- til they TRIED IT! It really was very good- I'll be making this again!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Simple Homemade Favorites
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Easy Homemade Salad DressingsSee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More