- Cooking Time: 6-8hrs
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 20min
- 1-2lbs Country-style Pork Ribs
- Oil for browning
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- Sea Salt & LOTS of Black Pepper
- Soy Sauce
- 3-4 Granny Smith Apples, sliced
- 1 lg can Sauerkraut w/liquid
- 1/2c Brown Sugar
- 1tsp add'l Black Pepper
- 1/2tsp ea Cumin & Coriander
- 1/4-1/3c water
- Heat oil in deep skillet or Dutch oven; brown pork, onions & garlic, seasoning w/salt & pepper and dousing w/soy sauce (several generous dashes from bottle), covered, turning and stirring to brown meat evenly but not attempting to cook through.
- Place ribs, browned veggies and juices from pan in Crockpot.
- Add apples, then sauerkraut.
- Mix together sugar and remaining spices; pour over top of kraut, spreading out evenly and mashing a bit into kraut.
- Pour approx 1/4c water slowly over top to help sugar trickle down into layers.
- Cook 6-8hrs or overnight; if necessary, add more water to prevent top layer from drying- ALTHOUGH- I found that checking occasionally and pressing down on top and along sides of mixture helped incorporate all ingredients without disturbing layers.
- When it's finished, apples have pretty much dissolved into the pork, which should be incredibly fork-tender, and kraut is a golden-brown.
- Spoon out to serve, removing any bones from ribs.
- Recipe recommended serving over egg noodles, but I didn't see any point in this and thought it was FABULOUS just like it was.
NotesI saw this recipe in my local paper and tried it out, adding a little more to it (soy, onions, spices). I thought it sounded good but some people (husband) were scared- til they TRIED IT! It really was very good- I'll be making this again!
Breads and Pastry 101
Growers' Giveback Potluck
C'mon a my house! (Metric and American measurements for most recipes)See More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More