- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 25
BackstoryI made these today for my fiance, and documented it on my blog (http://yummysmells.blogspot.com). These are a true taste sensation: creamy, slightly tangy vanilla and chocolate batters sandwich a sweet, succulent strawberry heart. All I can say is wow!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 strawberries, cut in half lengthwise
- First, pre-heat your ovens to 400F, and grease 6 muffin cups.
- Whisk together the first six ingredients (flour through cornstarch) and divide it roughly into two bowls.
- Stir the cocoa powder into one of the two bowls.
- Melt together the chocolate chips and the butter, then stir in 2 tablespoons of the sour cream.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the cocoa muffin mix and add 2 tablespoons water. Stir gently to combine without overmixing, and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sour cream, the vanilla and the rest of the water to the plain mix and bring together gently.
- If either mixture is too dry, add 1-2 teaspoons of water.
- Put a large dollop of chocolate batter into the bottom of the greased tins, dividing it evenly between each cup.
- Place 1 strawberry half, cut-side down, on top of the chocolate batter.
- Top with the vanilla batter, again dividing it evenly and making sure the chocolate batter and strawberries are covered completely.
- Pop 'em into the oven for 20 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.