Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
3 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese (12 ounces)
* 2 cups shredded Emmentaler, Gruyere, or Swiss cheese (8 ounces)
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1-1/2 cups dry white wine
* 1/4 cup milk
* 2 tablespoons kirsch or dry sherry
* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
* Dippers: French bread or rye bread, cut into 1-inch cubes and toasted,** precooked broccoli or cauliflower florets or bias-sliced carrots.
Bring shredded cheeses to room temperature. Toss with flour; set aside.
Heat wine in a large saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles rise to the surface.
Just before wine boils, reduce heat to low and stir in the cheese mixture, a little at a time, stirring constantly, and make sure the cheese is melted before adding more. Stir until mixture bubbles gently.
Stir in milk, kirsch or sherry, nutmeg, and pepper. Transfer cheese mixture to a fondue pot.
Keep mixture bubbling gently over a fondue burner. Serve with dippers. If mixture becomes too thick, stir in a little warm milk.
Note: To toast bread cubes, place the cubes on a baking sheet.
Bake in a 350 degree F oven 5 to 7 minutes or until the bread cubes are crisp and toasted.