SZECHUAN-STYLE LO MEIN STIR-FRY WITH BROCCOLI SLAW AND PEANUTS
- 12 oz. lo mein noodles or other thin pasta
- 1 tbsp peanut or plain sesame seed oil
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1/2 tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper with cayenne pepper (or Szechuan pepper if you can find it)
- 16 oz. broccoli slaw mix
- 1/3 c water
- 1/3 c reduce-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chunky peanut butter
- 1 tbsp toasted (dark) sesame seed oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted chopped peanuts
In large pot, cook noodles and then drain and set aside.
In large skillet/wok, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, 3 minutes. Add garlic and pepper and cook 1 minute. Increase to med-high and add half of the broccoli slaw. cook, stiring nad tossing until wilted, 3 minutes. Stir in water, soy sauce, ginger and sugar. Let come to simmer. Reduce heat to low and add peanut butter and sesame seed oil, stirring until incorporated. Fold in noodles and remaining slaw; cook until heated through.
Serve with chopped peanuts on top and with a side of Jasmine rice.