- Cooking Time: 70
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 box No-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 pound Italian Sausage; Hot or Mild
- 3 cups Ricotta Cheese part skim
- 4 cups Fresh mozzarella cheese; shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 1 can san marzano tomatoes; or other brand 28 oz can
- 1 can Tomato paste; 6 ounce
- 4 cloves garlic; minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion; diced
- 3 tablespoons Fresh basil; chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch Salt & pepper; to taste for the sauce
- 1 medium bell pepper; sliced thin
- 1 medium Red bell pepper; sliced thin
- 1/2 cup Fresh mushrooms; sliced or chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup Fresh basil
- 1. In a large mixing bowl add Ricotta, Mozzarella, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper, mix well, set aside.
- 2. In a blender, pure the can of tomatoes. Set aside. In a small sauce pan, over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion & garlic, saute until slightly translucent about 5-6 minutes. Add the pureed tomatoes from the blender, the tomato paste, mix well, add the chopped basil, and salt and pepper to taste, reduce heat to low let simmer 15-20 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Meanwhile while sauce is simmering, in a medium frying pan over medium heat, remove the casing from the sausage add the Italian sausage to the pan. Break up the sausage into bits using a wooden spatula. Continue to cook until sausage has lost most of it's pink color, about 6-7 minutes. Continue to break the sausage up into tiny bite size pieces while cooking.
- 4. Also while sauce is simmering In a separate medium frying pan over low heat, add a teaspoon of olive oil, add mushrooms and both green and red bell pepper, saute for 3-4 minutes to soften, reduce heat to simmer.
- 5. Grab a large casserole dish, and preheat oven to 350 F.
- 6. Lightly sauce the bottom of the casserole dish. Then line with lasagna noodles. Add a nice layer of the reserved cheese mix about 2 cups, evenly spread over the noodles, then top with a little sauce. Add another layer of lasagna noodles. This time lightly add a layer of cheese, just a little bit like 1/2 cup at most spread lightly, then add the sausage, and top with some sauce and another layer of lasagna noodles and lightly press down. Once again, lightly layer with a 1/2 cup of cheese then add the peppers and mushrooms, spread evenly, add a small bit of sauce, and top with another layer of lasagna noodles. Add another 1 to 1/2 cup of cheese, spread evenly, a little bit of sauce, top with the last layer of lasagna noodles, then heavily pour the sauce over the top, make sure to cover well with the sauce. Sprinkle parmasan cheese (or use some grated mozzarella) over the top and then finish it off with fresh basil.
- 7. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 F for 1 hour.
- 8. Remove foil, and let bake 5 - 10 minutes more, remove from oven, let cool 5-10 minutes, cut and serve!
NotesThis is how I make my lasagna. It is super cheesy, super tasty, super filling, and you will not want to put your fork down! I love BIG food, and Lasagna is one of those dishes you can just keep piling up with all sorts of goodies! This is one version I enjoy making and just going to chow town on! Enjoy!
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Grilled Pepper Poppers
Easy Walnut Chocolate Rum Balls
blessing mixSee More