- Cooking Time: 5
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 24 hours
BackstoryThis recipe was given to me by my girlfriend. She has worked in a few restaurants in the past and one made their fried Ice Cream with pound cake. This is how I have now learned to prepare it and enjoy it this way the most, as compared to other methods such as corn flakes. The pound cake really holds well, and the ice cream does not start melting for 10-15 minutes which makes each bit simply beautifully delicious!
- 2 packageSara Lee Butter Pound Cake; (10.75 ounce per package)
- 1 quartIce Cream; any flavor
- 1 packageplastic wrap
- 1 quartcanola oil; (or vegetable)
- 1/4 cupfresh mint
- 1/4 cuppowder sugar
- 1 strawberry and or chocolate syrup
- 1. Defrost Sara Lee Pound Cakes, and then slice into 1/4 inch slices
- 2. Take 1 slice and add 2 1/2 tablespoons of ice cream to the center of the slice of pound cake.
- 3. Take the piece of pound cake with ice cream in your hand, and place a second slice of pound cake over the top of the ice cream and lightly mold the pound cake around the ice cream forming a ball or football like shape.
- 4. IMPORTANT!!! - IF you see ice cream or cracks between the slices, use a little piece of an additional slice of pound cake, and wet your hand with water to seal in the ice cream.
- 5. Repeat until all pound cake slices have been used and you have between 8 and 12 ice cream balls
- 6. Take the plastic wrap, tear a piece about 10 inches long, and wrap one of the ice cream balls, tightly and make sure it is completely covered and sealed. Repeat until all the ice cream balls are wrapped, and place in the freezer.
- 7. ICE CREAM BALLS MUST FREEZE FOR 24 HOURS TO HARDEN FOR FRYING. The ice cream balls can be stored for up to 1 week.
- 8. When you are ready to serve the desert, add the quart of oil to a medium sauce pan, and heat over MEDIUM HEAT. The oil is ready when a drop of water makes the oil pop and ripple.
- 9. once the oil is hot, remove the ice cream balls from the freezer and unwrap. It is best if you set a large container lined with paper towel, or a large serving dish with paper towel for draining close to the oil for when you remove the ice cream balls.
- 10. GENTLY drop ONE ice cream ball into the oil, and fry for 15-20 seconds, then using 2 forks, turn the ball to the other side, and fry for 15-20 seconds and then remove to the paper towel, repeat until you have fried all the ice cream balls.
- 11. To plate, cut 2 balls in half, and decorate with chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, powdered sugar, mint, or any other favorite toppings like whip cream or walnuts, etc.
- 12. Ice Cream Balls will not melt for some time, so there is no need to rush. The ice cream should stay hard for about 10 - 15 minutes after removing from the oil.
- 13. Hope that you enjoy this awesome, amazing, desert!