- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 box Elbow Macaroni Noodles
- 2 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese; shredded
- 1 cup American cheese; slices, white or yellow, diced
- 3/4 pound Sausage; pork or chicken, casing removed
- 1 medium Yellow onion; finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic; minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1/2 cup Bread crumbs; Italian Seasoned or Unseasoned
- 2 cups 2% Milk
- 3 tablespoons All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Red pepper flakes; optional
- 1. In a large pot bring enough lightly salted water to a boil to cook 1 box of elbow macaroni. (16.oz) Cook according to box to achieve a texture of aldente. Drain, set aside
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil, then, add sausage, garlic, and onion. Saute for 5-6 minutes until sausage is browned and onions translucent. Add bell pepper, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, stir to mix well, and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until peppers are softened.
- 3. Add flour, stir, and slowly add milk until thickens, and reduces a bit, then add cheeses, continuing to stir, sauce will continue to thicken. Stir for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- 4. Add the reserved macaroni, fold in, until all ingredients are combined well. Remove from heat.
- 5. Preheat your oven to 350 F
- 6. Spoon the sausage mac and cheese into a medium casserole dish. Sprinkle with tsp of Red Pepper Flake (optional, leave out for no added heat)
- 7. In a small sauce man or frying pan, melt butter, stir in bread crumbs, then spread over top the sausage mac and cheese
- 8. Bake at 350 F uncovered for 20-25 minutes, when the breadcrumbs are nicely toasted, remove from the oven.
NotesThis is a wonderful side dish or even a meal in itself. Great flavor and taste! One of my favorite ways to prepare macaroni and cheese!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Julia Child's Supremes de Volaille Archiduc
Chicken MoleSee More