- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 poundGround turkey; not too lean
- 4 Wheat hamburger buns; toasted (or other hamburger roll)
- 1/2 Bell pepper; finely chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper; finely chopped
- 1/2 mediumRed onion; finely chopped
- 1 Serrano chiles; finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoonRed pepper flakes
- 8 ouncesTomato sauce; any brand
- 1 tablespoonPoultry Seasoning
- 2 tablespoonLight brown sugar
- 3/4 tablespoonworcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoonExtra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinchSalt; to taste
- 1 pinchBlack pepper; to taste
- 1. If you want to have a NON-SPICY Sloppy Bird, OMIT the Serrano chili and the red pepper flakes!
- 2. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat
- 3. Add turkey once oil is hot, and while cooking, break down the ground turkey into tiny pieces, continue to cook and breakdown for about 4-5 minutes.
- 4. Add the bell pepper, chili, onion and mix well
- 5. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, poultry seasoning, and sugar and mix well, then add to the pan, stir and reduce heat to low
- 6. Cover and let simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. While this is going on, toast your buns and make your sweet potato fries.. yup! That's right, sweet potato fries go great with this sand!
- 7. To serve, use a ice cream scoop and put 2 - 3 scoops of the turkey onto the bun. Serve with Sweet Potato fries, (or other )
NotesThis is a alternative to the Sloppy Joe. I am always trying to find ways to use ground turkey or chicken as my girlfriend does not eat Beef, and I love a Sloppy Joe, so I thought I would make her one with some ground turkey, my way! These came out Awesome! Enjoy!
This also makes a nice topping for turkey/chicken hot dogs, or on top of a dish of pasta. Also you can eat a bowl of it on it's own like a chili!
Either way you have it, you are sure to love it!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More