TBC's Three Cheese Spicy Italian Sausage Bake
1/2 pound pork sausage; ground
1 pound Hot Italian Sausage; casing removed and cut to 1 inch peices
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large bell pepper; sliced (reserve 5 slices)
1 large Red bell pepper; sliced (reserve 5 slices)
1 large onion; sliced
1/2 tablespoon garlic; minced
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Dried oregano
1 teaspoon Fresh Italian parsley; finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
1 can diced tomatoes with basil; 15 oz any brand
1 can tomato sauce; 15 oz any brand
1 box Pasta; Rotelli, Penne, Zitti, or other
3 cup Mozzarella; shredded
1 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
1 cup Peccorino Romano Cheese; shredded
1. If you do not like spicy, use Mild Italian Sausage and omit the red pepper flakes, and you will be just fine! Hope you enjoy!
2. In a large pot, boil water, and cook pasta according to box instructions for aldente texture, drain, toss with a dash of olive oil and set aside.
3. In a large pan or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat
4. Add the sliced or pieces of Italian Pork Sausage and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
5. Push the pieces to one side of the pan, and add the ground pork sausage and begin to break it up into small pieces. DO NOT TOUCH the Spicy or Sweet sausage pieces.. Break the ground pork sausage and cook for about 2 minutes.
6. REMOVE the pieces of Spicy or Sweet Italian pork sausage to a plate lined with paper towel for draining. Set aside
7. Add garlic and onion to the pan or skillet and continue to cook stirring scraping up bits from the pan for 2 to 3 minutes then add the bell peppers and stir to incorporate.
8. Add the parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes
9. Add both tomato sauce and entire can with juice of diced tomatoes with basil, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmer for 10 minutes stirring about every 3 minutes or so
10. Taste and adjust spices to preference
11. Preheat your oven to 300°F
12. Add the pasta to the pan, mix well, then add the parmesan cheese, and mix to incorporate.
13. Remove pan from heat, and grab a casserole dish. With a large spoon, begin to add the pasta, sausage mixture into the pan, about 1/2 way through, cover with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and then add the rest of the pasta and sausage mix
14. Take the reserved sausage pieces, and spread over the top of the pasta, cover with the remaining mozzarella cheese
15. Sprinkle the reserved bell pepper slices, or make a X pattern right up the center of the dish, cover with the peccorino romano cheese
16. Bake at 300°F for 25-30 minutes, remove from oven, cut into 6 servings, plate, and enjoy!
Pairs Well With
I love creating all kinds of dishes, especially filling dishes. This is one loaded macaroni bake dish! A wonderful baked macaroni dish with incredible flavor. Very filling and satisfying. This is a must try for those who love to EAT!